Make Space for peace

It has been an incredibly busy three months as Paul and I have stepped into full time ministry with the Salvation Army. It has been full of excitement and adventure along with trepidation and some fear. In coming months I plan to share some of the exciting things God has been talking to us about, but the past week I have been thinking about peace.

Last week Paul and I went on Holiday to the borders of Scotland. On our way home we stopped in one of our favorite towns, Grasmere, and visited a beautiful place called Allan Bank. Whilst I was there God gave me these words:


"Drop thy still dews of quietness, 
till all our strivings cease,
Take from our lives the strain and stress,
And let our ordered lives confess 
the beauty of thy peace"

Today, peace looks like a battered old leather chair with plumped up cushions and a whippet curled up beside me, my husband reading a book and a steaming cup of early grey tea. 

Peace looks like looking out of the window and seeing the many tones of green, reds oranges and browns as the trees take on their autumnal glory. The lake so still it takes on a mirror like appearence, reflecting the hillside with it's unique array of autumnal pallets. I see the view that inspired poets, encouraged artists and made many contemplate our creator God. 

I can hear the hustle and bustle but I feel....PEACE. I can sense the dews of quietness and I know the beauty of thy peace.

Thank you Jesus




We need to make space for peace, not just quiet, but that reviving, spirit altering, God encountering peace. We must savor each precious moment. I am reminded of one of my favourite songs. 

"Mid all the traffic of the ways,
Turmoils without, within,
Make in my heart a quiet place,
And come and dwell therein.


A little shrine of quietness,
All sacred to Thyself,
Where Thou shalt all my soul possess,
And I may find myself.


A little place of mystic grace,
Of self and sin swept bare,
Where I may look upon Thy face,
And talk with Thee in prayer.


Come occupy my silent place,
and make thy dwelling there!
More grace is wrought in quietness
than any is aware."

Jesus wants us to find peace in him. He says "  Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

I pray today you will make space for peace x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How my favourite clothing company taught me all about the abundance of God!

Fixing our eyes on Jesus

Tales from the Riverbank - Singing at Midnight