Gabriels Message - God is bigger than your problems

In my consideration of Advent and with Christmas approaching I have been thinking a lot about Mary and the part she played in the Christmas Story. The beautiful hymn 'Gabriel's message' kept running through my mind. Why not take a moment and listen to the song


The words to this song are beautiful. They say:

The angel Gabriel from heaven came, 
His wings as drifted snow, his eyes as flame,
'All hail' said he  'Thous lowly maiden Mary'
Most highly favoured Lady, Gloria!

'For known a blessed mother thou shalt be;
All generations laud and honour thee,
Thy son shall be emmanuel, by seers foretold'
Most highly favoured Lady. Gloria!

The gentle Mary meekly bowed her head;
'To me be as it pleases God,' She said
'My soul shall laud and magnify his Holy name'
Most highly favoured lady. Gloria!

Whilst considering the Christmas story and Mary, I can't help but wonder whether it wasn't quite so neat and perfect as the song suggests. Mary was likely to be 12 or 13 years old when she became pregnant. She was betrothed to Joseph and in Jewish custom it was as good as being married. The only way to break the betrothal would be through divorce. If Joseph would have done this he would have done it one the grounds of adultery and the punishment would have been death! 
I'm sure some of these things may have rushed through her mind. 

As a christian I trust God completely, but some days it is really hard. Some days my problems seem bigger than God's promises. I wonder if on the journey to Bethlehem, Mary may have felt the same. I wonder if the hot days, the cold nights, the endless travelling, the uncomfortableness and fatigue of being heavily pregnant ever felt so much. 

In our community choir we are singing a powerful song that talks of this. It looks at how Mary may have been feeling at the time. For us as a choir, God has spoken to Many of us about our own situations that we face. Let me share some of the words. 

I am waiting, in a silent prayer,
I am frightened by the load I bear,
In a world as cold as stone,
must I walk this path alone? 
Be with me now

Do you wonder, as you watch my face
If a wiser one could have had my place
But I offer all I am
For the mercy of your plan,
Help me be strong, 
Help me be
Help me

Breath of heave, hold me together,
Be forever near me, Breath of heaven,
Breath of heaven, lighten my darkness,
Pour over me your holiness
For you are holy
Breath of heaven

Maybe today your problem seems bigger then God's promises. Why not take some time to listen to the song and pray




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How my favourite clothing company taught me all about the abundance of God!

Fixing our eyes on Jesus

Tales from the Riverbank - Singing at Midnight