For those who struggle with Mothers Day...you are not alone!


I have to make a confession…this year I have really struggled with mothers day. In the past few years I have been really active in helping others who struggle with the day, creating resources to be used by leaders in The Salvation Army, organising alternative mothers day services for those who find it hard, and praying with and for women in the support group I ran for christians walking through infertility. Most years I lead our church services on mother’s day, however this year I have to admit I would much rather lie in bed under a duvet than celebrate!


Mothers day is full of complicated feelings. I am so blessed to have an amazing mum who is always there for me and a great example of what an amazing mum should be! However I always battle the feeling of only being ‘half a mum’ I have three beautiful daughters who I love deeply, however they have a mum who loves them, and I have seen the conflict in them in mother’s days past. I have the most beautiful little girl who came home five years ago through the miracle of adoption. She is the one who calls me mum (or at least signs mum to me!!) and every day she shows me what love is. However I know that her birth mother is somewhere with the ache of knowing she was unable to give her the care that she needed, and I know she misses her. Piled on top of this is the grief over the life that could and should have been… a house full of children, the grief of my mother-in-law who is no longer with us and the longing for healing. 


I know that there are so many others who find this day difficult, who are walking through great grief, who have a yearning to be called a mother and who find the church the last place they want to be today. 


When we look to the bible, we see a God that is forever coming close to his people and through the person of Jesus, we know that we have someone who understands grief, loss and longing. Psalm 34:18 says:



The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.


After over a decade of conflict with Mothers day, I have learned that the only person who can understand, give comfort and can remind me of who I really am is God. I have discovered that God comes close to us in times of difficulty and not only that, he takes the pain and sorrow and turns it into something that can bring others close to him. 2 Corinthians 1:3-5



All praises belong to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he is the Father of tender mercy and the God of endless comfort.  He always comes alongside us to comfort us in every suffering so that we can come alongside those who are in any painful trial. We can bring them this same comfort that God has poured out upon us. And just as we experience the abundance of Christ’s own sufferings,  even more of God’s comfort will cascade upon us through our union with Christ.


So today if you are struggling with Mothers day, I see you, I love you, and I am praying for you. But so much more than that, God sees you, he loves you and he wants to give you comfort. If you are struggling too, I would love to talk to you and pray for you, I encourage you to come to God, whether it be by going to church or talking to him wherever you are, allow God to come close to you. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How my favourite clothing company taught me all about the abundance of God!

Fixing our eyes on Jesus

Tales from the Riverbank - Singing at Midnight