Leaping like a fish


As I have mentioned in a previous post, one of the joys I have in supporting the tech team at the conference is that I get to sit at the back and close to the lakeside. At times it isn't so great as I get so enthralled in the things going on in the lake outside that I forget to do my job inside! However sitting by the ‘riverbank’ has given me so much joy! 


In the lake are some absolutely huge fish and throughout the weekend I was fascinated by their behaviour. 

Watching the fish in the lake looking for food, I saw three types of fish.


1. Floating below the radar. These fish seemed happy floating underneath the surface of the water feeding on the crumbs that drop from the surface of the water. They are close enough to the surface to feel the warmth of the sun, but not close enough to break the surface.



2. Snacking on the surface. These fish are happy to get closer to the surface, sometimes sticking their heads above the water in order to be fed. They don’t mind being seen and are happy to enjoy the warmth of the sun and the food that is found on the surface.




3. Leaping and feasting. These fish are enthusiastic in their quest for food. When they see something worth the effort they leap unashamed from the water and are rewarded with a fully belly and an adventure. As these fish leap, they are not concerned about showing themselves to the world outside their lake and the predators that may be watching. Their focus is on their mission and their reward is great.

As I watched the fish I felt God gently challenge me… Which fish was I? 


When it came to my walk with God and my call to share my faith, which fish summed me up best?


  1. Floating below the radar. Was I happy to float below the radar in my faith? I may enjoy some of the benefits of a life a faith, but the reality is fear has left me paralysed from making a ripple and venturing further into the risks and benefits of a life with jesus

  2. Snacking on the surface. Was I comfortable getting close to the surface? Enjoying the benefits of feeding on the word of God and tiptoeing on the discipleship journey but free from any real danger or risk

  3. Leaping and Feasting. Was I living a life of joy, passion and blessing? Happy to leap from the water of the world and feasting on the good things God promises to his people, Knowing that there is a risk and a danger from removing myself from the world, but knowing the reward is worth the peril. 


What a challenge. In my life and walk with the Lord I want to be a fish that leaps without fear and anxiety, happy to take a risk for God and knowing that the feast I will receive in return is far more than the world will ever take me. Are you willing to leap with me?



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How my favourite clothing company taught me all about the abundance of God!

Fixing our eyes on Jesus

Christmas Carols unwrapped: It came upon a midnight clear