The small things


Last week I spent a few days at The Salvation Army’s William Booth training college, as I began training to become an officer. One morning, I had a wonderful time wandering, praying and eating my way along the South Bank of the river Thames. After sampling the delights of Borough Market (there is a beautiful gluten free cake stall there!) I wondered along to tower bridge and crossed over to the other side of the Thames as I made my way back along, I found myself needing to cross over the millennium bridge to the south side and it was there that God shared with me a beautiful truth. 


One of the things I love about God is he shares his truths with us in the most unlikely ways and often in a way that brings a smile to my face!! .


Now I have a bit (a lot!) of an irrational fear of bridges! I absolutely hate walking over them, and the millennium bridge is a pretty scary bridge in my books. Its always the one in those end of the world films that collapses like a flimsy rope bridge! As I was battling these irrational thoughts, and telling myself to keep breathing, while walking across the bridge, I have to admit I kept my eyes down on the path ahead. It was then that I noticed something amazing. All across the bridge people have created mini works of art in the dried dirt and gum on the path. There were literally hundreds of tiny masterpieces under people's feet.




 As I began to spot all this amazing artwork, it became clear that I was the only person on the bridge that had noticed it. People were busy about their day, caught up in their own world, that they failed to see the beauty around them in the little things, the secret things. 


It reminded me of the bible reading I had read in the morning from Zechariah 4



“Who dares despise the day of small things, since the seven eyes of the Lord that range throughout the earth will rejoice when they see the chosen capstone in the hand of Zerubbabel?”


Reflecting on the least 8 years of ministry as a Territorial Envoy in the Salvation Army and looking to the training in the next year and officership beyond, I know that there are many days of ‘Small things’ days spent plugging away at the mission of God to go and make disciples. Many days that are more paperwork and preparation rather than miracles and marvellous conversions! 


Spurgeon, one of my biggest heroes of the faith said of the little things:


 “God accepts your little works if they are done in faith in his dear Son. God will give success to your little works: God will educate you by your little works to do greater works; and your little works may call out others who shall do greater works by far than ever you shall be able to accomplish.” (Spurgeon)


Sometimes our ‘little thing’ might seem like a piece of gum or dirt on the bridge, that people walk past without even noticing, but God takes it and makes it something beautiful, something that can impact our community, our world and eternity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How my favourite clothing company taught me all about the abundance of God!

Fixing our eyes on Jesus

Tales from the Riverbank - Singing at Midnight