Baby Loss Awareness week: God's message to those who are grieving



 This week is the annual baby loss awareness week, where we remember the little ones we never got to meet and the lives that were never lived. While this has never been my experience personally as my walk through infertility has meant I have never been pregnant, it is still a topic so very close to my heart. I have so many friends and family members who have had experience of baby loss and I have sat with them as we have grieved the loss, not only of a life, but of dreams, and hopes too.  

Some people choose to share their story of loss while others choose to grieve privately, and I am always surprised at how many people around me have walked through such tragic experiences. This morning as I was praying for those who will find this week a difficult one, God began to reveal something of his heart for them and the burden that they carry.  




Psalm 34:18 says: 



The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.  


Maybe you are feeling the weight of grief or as The Passion Translation of this verse says maybe your heart is crushed by pain. God wants you to know that he feels your pain. That he is sitting with you amongst the tears and the anger and confusion. In fact God’s word tells us that your tears are so precious to him that he keeps hold of them: 


 You’ve kept track of all my wandering and my weeping. You’ve stored my many tears in your bottle—not one will be lost. For they are all recorded in your book of remembrance. 

Psalm 56:8 


This baby loss awareness week, allow Gods Comfort to overwhlem you. Share with him your deepest sadness, frustration and grief. Cast all your cares on him, for he cares for you. 





For many, baby loss is a hidden grief. Friends have spoken about a hole at family events and days out where that child was meant to be, that milestones are difficult and yet often go unseen, with few others remembering. However I believe God wants you to know today God sees you in those times of loss and he loves that precious child that was lost. Psalm 139:13 reminds us: 




For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. 


This baby loss awareness week, allow that knowledge that God loves each precious life that he created to permeate into all areas of your grief.  



Many of my friends have shared how baby loss has left them at times with a feeling of utter hopelessness. I have felt this at times too as the monthly grief that comes with the beginning of a new cycle can bring such despair. However if there is one thing that I have learnt through my own journey, and walking alongside others is that God is the God of hope and in the midst of darkest grief, we can cling to the hope that we have in Jesus Christ.  

One of my favourite bible verses that is often quoted out of context says:  





For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 


The people in this passage were in exile, they were struggling and they didn’t know when things would change. God gave them this promise, telling them that the problems they were facing, were not going to end overnight, BUT, God had good plans, plans full of hope.  


This baby loss awareness week, maybe you need to cling hold of Romans 15:13 even if you don’t feel it yet.  

Now may God, the fountain of hope, fill you to overflowing with uncontainable joy and perfect peace as you trust in him. And may the power of the Holy Spirit continually surround your life with his super-abundance until you radiate with hope! 

 

This week I will be joining in the wave of light to remember the lives of those who were so loved and are so missed. I remember my sister, my neice or nephew, those that would call me ‘Aunty Alice’ even though I;m not related! those who I earnestly prayed and believed for. 


If this has been your story, or if you are struggling to extend your family and you are in need of support. I would love to talk to you. I also lead a support group with the amazing Moms in the making and you would be so welcome to join us as we seek the father and grow our families.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How my favourite clothing company taught me all about the abundance of God!

Fixing our eyes on Jesus

Tales from the Riverbank - Singing at Midnight