The trailing plant of prayer

Recently we have taken up appointment as Corp Officers at the Salvation Army in Mold, North Wales. It has been a big change so last week we took some time to explore the surroundings and the beautiful countryside. We went to a place called loggerheads with the dogs.




Whilst we were there my husband pointed out something that got my mind whirring. He showed me a tree that was leaning over rather precariously. It looked like it had either fallen or was close to it. It’s not anything special, in fact it is quite common in the ancient woodland we were wandering in. However, this tree was covered in trailing plants that were alive and well. In fact it was thriving. It looked almost as if it was holding the tree up.




As I walked along God spoke to me in this picture. He said that the log is us sometimes. We are leaning over, close to breaking point. He showed me how the vines are the the support that we are given by God through prayer.

What a powerful thing prayer is!

It supports, it upholds it is beautiful and it helps us flourish. As I write I am reminded of this song:

‘He giveth more Grace as our burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength as our labours increase,
To added afflictions, he addeth his mercy,
To multiplied trials, he multiplies peace.

When we has exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our father’s full giving has only begun.

His love has no limits, his grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men,
For out of his infinite riches in Jesus,
He giveth and giveth and giveth again.’


Will you be the trailing plant of prayer for someone today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How my favourite clothing company taught me all about the abundance of God!

Fixing our eyes on Jesus

Tales from the Riverbank - Singing at Midnight