The small voice of God



The past couple of months for us has been a little but hectic. In February Paul and I received our farewell orders (Salvation Army language for we were informed that we would be moving to a new church) to take up appointment of A Salvation Army in Scotland. Through lockdown there were many will we, wont we moments, but in July we moved up to temporary accommodation in Scotland and two weeks ago we moved into our new house.  It has been a very surreal time to move and it has been filled with its fair share of challenges, however we have been making the most of some nice weather and exploring the countryside around us. 

Yesterday we took a short drive to explore a new place with our daughter and dogs in tow. The past week had been tough and seemed to be filled with many voices and not all positive. I also had people and things on my heart and I was trying to carry them and pray into it. When we got to the place there was a huge queue of cars waiting to enter the carpark and follow the walks in the area. When we started to walk, I soon realised it was pretty noisy, not just externally with the crowds of people but internally too. 

We began to walk through some absolutely stunning scenery but I was distracted by the noise, the voices, the messages and they all seemed conflicting. It was then that God spoke to me powerfully, in the way only he can....through the smallest voice around me!

After about half a mile or so I began to hear a strange noise. At first, I struggles to work out what the noise was, it was a strange cheeping unlike anything I heard before. I began to listen to the strange noise and became aware that it was the sound of a bird. No one around seemed to hear the sound above their own conversations and the other noises around, but as I listened to the sound and became consumed by it, all the other noises seemed to fall away, until suddenly I saw it. Soaring along the brook beside us and diving effortlessly below a small bridge before coming to rest in a tree. It was a beautiful bird, with lovely earthy colours. Still no one noticed this awesome sight but as I watched I became aware God was speaking to me. He was gently telling me to listen to his voice, to concentrate on him. That all the other noises don’t matter, it’s his voice that counts. 

Feeling considerably more peaceful I began to look around me and noticed the most stunning view had opened up across Inverclyde and Ayrshire and over the various islands around. The hills and mountains were magnificent and it blew me away. A small bird, the still small voice had instantly put things into perspective. 

We live in a world that is so full of voices and the challenges of the past few months has made the world even louder. As we ease out of lockdown there are so many conflicting voices telling us what we should and shouldn’t, can and can’t do. The secular nature of society means that predominantly the voices that are the loudest aren’t ones steeped in the knowledge and wisdom of Christ. Even within the church the conflicting advice and guidance can fill our minds with voices and just makes it a cacophony of noise that overwhelms. 

Like Elijah found in his encounter with God on the mountain, there are times and seasons that we need to take the time not to listen to the loudest voices, to the wind, the earthquake and fire, but the still small voice of God. 

At the beginning of Lockdown many people talked about the need to listen to God, to discern where he is leading and navigate these uncertain times assured by his voice. Today I suggest that now, as the world is finding its rhythm again, it is the time we need to listen to the small voice of God in the myriad of voices and look at what he is showing us, individually and corporately. 

Yesterday when I heard the noise and focused on it, I quickly found the unnecessary voices fell away. As I focused on its beauty I was filled with peace and having experienced the still small voice, I was able to see the bigger picture, to gain perspective and appreciate the direction I needed to go in. I don’t know about you but in this time of noise and uncertainty, I could do with that more throughout my life! I leave you with the following verses from John 10 and ask today, do you know his voice and are you listening to what he has to say?



“My sheep recognise my voice. I know them and they follow me. I give them real and eternal life. They are protected from the destroyer for good.” John 10:27 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How my favourite clothing company taught me all about the abundance of God!

Fixing our eyes on Jesus

Tales from the Riverbank - Singing at Midnight