Which side are YOU on?

 

I have always enjoyed football and there is nothing better than a European or World tournament. I have watched nearly every match of the European tournament this year and have loved (nearly) every minute of it! However, over the past few years I have began to notice something that makes me feel uncomfortable and this year I felt I needed to speak out.

 

I did most of my growing up in Liverpool and became a supporter of Everton Football club. I enjoyed watching matches but I also enjoyed cheering on Liverpool FC when they did better than my team and achieve cups and awards, after all Liverpool was my city and anything we as a city achieved was good in my book!

 

When watching sport I also enjoy cheering on other countries in the United Kingdom, having lived in Wales, and now living in Scotland, over the Euros I have loved celebrating their success and cheering them on! However I have been horrified to discover that this is not the case for everyone and in fact in a world full of “Be Kind”, “Everyone should be equal”, and “say no to racism”, that it is perfectly acceptable to wish that any team win but England!!

 

It’s not only that. Over the past few years of ministering to countries in the UK but outside of England, I have heard some really nasty and derogatory comments towards England sports team and the English themselves uttered by Christians! It seems that the Love you neighbour command has exceptions!



As Christians we are called to be different to the world, we are called to love the whosoever…even if they are wearing another nation’s football shirt. This weekend presents an opportunity to spread love and acceptance, whatever country you are supporting, after all the team we are playing on is God’s side! There is a song in our Salvation Army song book that I will leave with you as a challenge and I encourage you, whoever you cheer for on Sunday, to loudly declare you are on Lord’s side and not Only is Football coming home, but soon Jesus will be coming back too!!

 Who is on the Lord’s side?

Who will serve the King?

Who will be his helpers other lives to bring?

Who will leave the world’s side?

Who will face the foe?

Who is on the Lord’s side?

Who for him will go?

 

By thy Grand redemption,

By thy Grace divine,

We are on the Lord’s side;

Saviour, we are thine!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How my favourite clothing company taught me all about the abundance of God!

Fixing our eyes on Jesus

Tales from the Riverbank - Singing at Midnight