This week I have been thinking about the kingdom principle of being faithful in the little things. On Sunday I am teaching on this and while preparing to preach I like to sit and permeate on the topic and what it means for me. I often find too that before I teach on a topic, I have to practically learn about it for myself. Paul and I often remark on how God first teaches us the lesson before we teach it to others…I’ll save what happened when Paul taught on healing until another day!!!

Luke 16:10 says: "The one who faithfully manages the little he has been given will be promoted and trusted with greater responsibilities."

A couple of weeks ago I had an instance where God called me to be faithful in something little and although it was only a ‘little; thing it took great boldness. Let me tell you about my experience…

My phone contract was up for renewal and I had decided I wanted to leave the provider I have been with for nearly 20 years and go with a new one. However, as I tried to get a new deal, I hit a brick wall. You see years ago (about 15 years) I got into a bit of a mess with my student overdraft and as a result, my credit rating suffered. Even after all these years and a healthy bank account, it meant I couldn’t get a new phone contract.

If I’m honest, it got me really down, and the enemy tried to break in and tell me how worthless I am and that things would never change! Anyway, after a couple of days looking at alternatives, and lets face it, moaning, Paul told me to just give my current provider a ring and see what they could do. Clearly God had wanted me to phone at that exact moment…

I phoned up the phone company and got a really friendly person on the phone. The young man was really friendly and as he helped me, we got chatting. In the course of the conversation the man told me how he was enjoying going into the office and seeing people as he struggled to make friends and was battling with depression.

As the man revealed this to me, I felt a nudge in my spirit to tell him about God. It was a bubble that came up, that made me feel uncomfortable, and I knew I had to do what I was being led to do…maybe you have felt like that before? In that moment I had a choice to make, I could either be faithful in the little thing that God was asking me to do, with great boldness, or I could let the moment pass.

I decided to be bold in my faithfulness and to speak up. I began to tell him that I had the answer to his desire for friendship and know who could help him with his depression, and the answer was Jesus Christ. He then revealed that  he used to go to church and had been feeling the call to return but was scared he might be rejected by the church and the other people there. He also said he knew he needed to pray but hadn’t done it recently. I was able to share with him the truth that Church is a place for broken people just like him and assured him of my prayers. I also encouraged him to pray to God by himself and take the step back to church.

I came off the phone absolutely buzzing and was so thankful to God that he had used me to speak life into a man I have never met and probably never will! I will never know what happened to him, although I hope I will meet him selling mobile phones in heaven!! Just the knowledge that God had used is reward enough for me, however, God promises promotion for our faithfulness…

About a week later I received a text message out of the blue from my phone provider saying that my new chromebook will be on its way soon. Initially I thought it was a scam, but having looked into it I realised that the man I had spoken to on that day had given me a 20% discount every month, waived charges for delivery and had got me a deal that includes a free, brand new chromebook!!

How amazing is that for a blessing and reward for boldness!



I share this testimony with you today to encourage you to be faithful in the little things, in the nudging of the Holy Spirit and to be bold even in the little things. If you do…you wont be sorry!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How my favourite clothing company taught me all about the abundance of God!

Fixing our eyes on Jesus

Tales from the Riverbank - Singing at Midnight